Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Roses of The Garden Society

DSC_08770DSC_0905Just about a five minutes walk from my home lies a beautiful park called The Garden Society. During the spring I started to visit it more frequently and now I walk through it almost every week. The park is one of the best preserved 19th century parks in Sweden and it includes a palm house with exotic plants, a rose garden and a few restaurants and cafés among other things. DSC_0904 DSC_0880 The park is at its most beautiful during the summer when The Rose Garden is in full bloom. It consists of approximately 1500 different kinds of roses - old roses and modern roses such as English roses, China roses and Tea roses. The garden also includes a collection of Swedish west coast roses. A lot of couples get married here during the summer. If you happen to end up in Gothenburg this is a place you must visit :)
DSC_0879 DSC_0907DSC_0881 I love strolling through the park and I'm always amazed by the fantastic scents, colours and shapes of all theses roses. The idea that all of these flowers would soon begin to fade made me a little sentimental so this weekend I brought my camera with me on my walk so I could capture their beauty.
DSC_0900 DSC_0897 “Then thousand red roses” - that’s the name of a Swedish love tune from the 1960's that my grandmother used to play on a cassette tape in her home. On the tape the song was covered by a Swedish dance band called "The Vikings" and I’ve always thought it was kind of corny when I got older. But seeing all the roses in the rose garden this weekend suddenly made me think of the song again. And when I browsed through the lyrics I couldn’t help thinking that it was in fact quite a sweet love song about being in love and hoping that the other person you are in love with feels the same way too. The song also involves the thought about wanting to give away a bouquet of ten thousand red roses of course!

I have a special childhood memory to this song. I remember me and my dad visiting my grandmother on an early evening in the beginning of the summer when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I heard the song being played from one of the rooms in her house and I was standing in her living room, looking out the window and seeing her yellow roses in full bloom in her backyard. Later in the evening we said goodbye to my grandmother and went in the car to pick up mom from her late night job at the hospital. On our way home, we drowe by a big big field of lupins in different colours close to the higway just as the sun was starting to set.

I will always remember that moment in the evening and the colour explosion of those flowers in the golden sunset. I've also enjoyed lupins ever since then I think. It’s so great how songs can make you recall a specific memory like that. And it all started with seeing the roses in the park that day.
DSC_0910

14 comments :

  1. The flowers all look so amazing! I've been loving all of your floral Instagram updates too - gorgeous! <3 <3 <3

    x
    Lost in the Haze: a Fashion Photography Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are amazing, aren't they! I could just walk around in that park all day long :) Thank you! I'm so glad that you enjoyed my instagram updates of these flowers too :) <3 <3 <3
      xx

      Delete
  2. Trädgårdsföreningen - Göteborgs bäst bevarade hemlighet! Jag hade ett liknande moment då när vi byggde utställningen, frågade mig varför jag inte satt min fot i denna park sen jag var fem år gammal... Skandal. Nu är jag där oftare :) Fint inlägg! Kram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eller hur är det Göteborgs bäst bevarade hemlighet! Jag frågar mig också varför jag inte varit där oftare sen tidigare... Tusen tack för den fina kommentaren! Vad roligt att du tyckte om inlägget :) Kram

      Delete
  3. Your appreciation of the flowers is always so beautiful and personal. Thank you for sharing your happy memories with us! Your photos of the roses are wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment, Suzanne Alise! I was so happy to read it. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and that you liked the pictures of the roses too <3

      Delete
  4. Love it, can't wait to see what you do next! Come check out my blog, maybe we can follow each other!
    Material Fixations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just visited your blog, so many inspiring pictures! Thank you for sharing the link to it here :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful garden. I love reading about your memory of your grandmother and the lupins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautiful isn't it! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about my grandmother and the flower memories :) Thank you for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  6. It's a lovely post Lisa Marie. It's funny how music and smell can recall some precious memories.
    Your pictures are gorgeous and they make me want a be there enjoying the pretty sights and the perfume of all those flowers :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Geneviève. If you visit Gothenburg sometime we must visit that garden, I'm sure you would have loved it! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures too! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are always so pretty and your work is so delicate.

    I wish you a great success, you trully deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! Your comment really made my day! Thank you for your kindness and sweetness - I'm so glad you like my pictures and my work. It means a lot to me!

      Delete